The chance to be reunited with Matthias Jaissle convinced Amar Dedic to swap Benfica for Newcastle in a £29.5m transfer. Dedic becomes Newcastle’s sixth signing of a turbulent summer on Tyneside and the 24-year-old Bosnia and Herzegovina international is likely to start at right‑back at home to Liverpool on Sunday.
“Working with Matthias again was a big factor for me,” said Dedic, who played for Newcastle’s new manager at RB Salzburg. “We know each other well; he knows what I can bring to the pitch and I’m really happy to play for him again. It’s a special feeling and a real honour to join Newcastle.”
With Tino Livramento still recovering from a calf injury, Newcastle’s lack of senior right-backs has been highlighted in pre-season and, soon after replacing Eddie Howe this month, Jaissle advised club executives that Dedic could fill the void. It helps that a defender also comfortable at left-back understands the German’s playing philosophy.
Newcastle are also talking to Manchester City about the possibility of signing the midfielder Nico González, having lost Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimarães.
Aston Villa have agreed a deal with West Ham to sign Aaron Wan-Bissaka on loan with an option to make his move permanent at the end of the season. Villa had an initial offer to take Wan-Bissaka on a straight loan rejected by West Ham. The DR Congo defender will provide Unai Emery with cover for Matty Cash. Villa are also hoping to sign João Palhinha and remain in talks with Bayern Munich over the Portugal midfielder.
Juventus confirmed they have signed Guglielmo Vicario from Tottenham on a season-long loan. The deal includes an option for Juve to make the goalkeeper’s move permanent at the end of the season, Tottenham said.Vicario, 29, joined Spurs from Empoli in 2023 and has made 117 appearances for the north London club. He was part of the side that won the Europa League in 2025, ending the club’s 17-year wait for a major trophy, but lost his place to Antonin Kinsky after the arrival of Roberto De Zerbi as manager in March.
Sunderland were set to announce their acquisition of a new left-back after fending off competition from Roma and Newcastle to win the race to sign the Toulouse defender Dayann Methalie for £25.6m, but that
transfer was on hold on Tuesday night after it emerged that the 20-year-old had failed part of his medical. Sunderland’s specialists are believed to have detected a potential back problem and the defender has now returned to Toulouse, where an independent French consultant is set to examine him.
A France Under-21s international, Metahlie made 28 Ligue One appearances last season and has been lined up to compete with Reinildo for a place in Régis Le Bris’s starting XI. Methalie, who had been about to sign a five-year contract at the Stadium of Light, is also comfortable operating as a left-sided central defender or wingback.
Harry Kane, meanwhile, has said “now is the time to start talking” about signing a new deal at Bayern Munich. The 33-year-old is entering the last season of his initial four-year deal at the Bundesliga champions.
