Gov. Mikie Sherrill’s administration won’t ask the New Jersey Supreme Court to revive racketeering charges against South Jersey Democratic power broker George Norcross that were dismissed after a judge found the indictment against him did not allege a crime.
Former Attorney General Matt Platkin charged Norcross and five others in June 2024, alleging their strongarming of a Philadelphia developer over development rights amounted to a criminal enterprise deserving of racketeering charges typically reserved for organized crime. But a trial court judge threw out the case, and a panel of appellate judges last month agreed the charges should remain dismissed.
Acting Attorney General Jen Davenport, Platkin’s successor, had until a deadline later this week to ask the state’s high court to hear an appeal.
Graying prison population spikes health care costs, drives ‘budget squeeze’
“In light of the Appellate Division’s decision, we have concluded that our prosecutorial resources would be best spent on other matters,” Sharon Lauchaire, a spokesperson for the attorney general, said Tuesday. “Our office remains committed to prioritizing public corruption prosecutions in this time of deepening mistrust in government.”
Davenport’s decision not to ask the Supreme Court to reverse the dismissal means the five others indicted — Norcross’ brother Philip A. Norcross, attorney Bill Tambussi, former Camden mayor Dana Redd, NFI CEO Sidney Brown, and Michaels Organization CEO John O’Donnell — will not face charges.
Norcross and his allies have denied wrongdoing and insisted the charges against them were politically motivated, with Platkin a frequent target of the attacks.
“We always knew that Matt Platkin brought this case for reasons other than its legal merits — and now multiple judges and Platkin’s successor as AG agree the allegations simply weren’t true,” said Norcross spokesman Dan Fee. “The question now is whether Platkin’s supporters who cheered him on will take a serious look at what he did and whether other authorities will do the same.”
Courts have not weighed the truthfulness of the indictment because the proceedings did not reach that legal stage. The case was dismissed early in the legal process when Warshaw found that the indictment against Norcross and others did not allege the elements of a crime.
Fee said Norcross allies would push to ensure those behind the indictment are “held to account, no differently than Pam Bondi” and the U.S. Department of Justice.
Platkin in a statement noted a grand jury had approved the charges.
“Out of respect for the men and women who do brave work holding corruption to account, I won’t comment further — other than to say I remain proud to have supported their efforts at a time when trust in government is at an all-time low and I will never apologize for believing that everyone should be held to the same standards, no matter how powerful they may be,” he said.
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES.
