President Donald Trump just revealed one of his major regrets following his loss in the 2020 election.
In an interview with The New York Times last week, Trump revealed that he regretted not ordering the National Guard to seize ballot boxes after the 2020 election. New York Times reporter David E. Sanger noted that Trump mused about ordering the National Guard to take the ballot boxes after the 2020 election, but ultimately decided not to do so.
“Well, I should have,” Trump said, according to the New York Times.
He then questioned whether the National Guard would have been able to successfully carry out his order.
“I don’t know that they are sophisticated enough. You know, they’re good warriors. I’m not sure that they’re sophisticated enough in the ways of crooked Democrats and the way they cheat, to figure that out,” he said.
Despite no evidence, Trump has baselessly claimed for years that the 2020 election was stolen from him due to voter fraud. More than five years after Democrat Joe Biden defeated him, Trump still complains about the “rigged” election.
There was no evidence of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election despite Trump’s repeated claims. In the months following that election, Trump urged then-Vice President Mike Pence to block the certification of the votes on Jan. 6, 2021.
Trump repeated those false claims in the interview with The New York Times, according to the transcript.
“But many, many things took place in the 2020 — and it’s coming out already — the 2020 election. And by the way, the 2024 election, there was a lot of cheating, too, but I won by a lot because it was too big to rig,” Trump said.
Trump’s comments about the National Guard come as he has ordered the troops to address crime in Democratic-led cities in recent months. His deployment of the National Guard has been met with legal hurdles as Democratic leaders opposed the troops in their cities.
